27 July 2009

gearing up for the Gathering

I've turned my living room upside-down by emptying out my closet/storage space under the stairs, in preparation for the Gathering. Not only did I have a couple sewing projects I wanted to finish for it, but I knew I had some fabrics and whatnot I could bring to help pretty up the Temple/Lair/Grotto, etc. Well. Apparently I have 6+ large rubbermaid tubs of fabric I forgot I had... THAT's where all my closet space went to!

So while I'm preparing to pack for the Gathering, I've got stuff strewn all over the living room that I intend to pack: clothes, costumes, ritual wear, bellydancing wear, what else could I possibly need wear?, supplies for a few of the workshops (visionboarding, kinky toy-making, etc), as well as radios and flashlights for Goon Squad, my Beach Bag, and I can't forget altar stuffs, etc etc. I'm taking everything because I don't know what I'll need, so better have it and not use it than not have it when I want to use it.

So, I ask of you who've been in past years: What else could I possibly need?

5 comments:

  1. 30 COMMENTS:


    Janus said...

    "What else could I possibly need?"

    A bigger car with more "trunk" space? LOL!

    I'm trying to narrow down my own possibilities, realizing that it's only one weekend, albeit a long one. What I really need to take versus what I really want to play with...

    But...Great Goddess, girlfriend! how can you forget six large tubs of material!

    July 27, 2009 12:46 PM


    Caroline said...

    My goodness! What I used to pack (I haven't been since Natasha was born!) ... bedding, two changes of clothes, a sarong, toiletries, sunscreen, a mug, wet weather gear (yup, we got POURED on one year), and play stuff (I used to sit on the dock with a basket full of nail polish and paint any toes that stayed still long enough!). We'd always swim in the buff so you'd just need a towel.

    I'm sure you'll be bellydancing, so bring that. Do they still have the no-talent bardic? And whatever you need for your classes. Otherwise, the whole point is to relax (yes RELAX), take some classes, do lots of visiting ... did I mention relaxing?

    July 27, 2009 1:35 PM


    Gaelan said...

    I admit to not knowing what the gathering is...but the list of stuff intrigues me.

    What's the deal?

    July 27, 2009 6:31 PM

    Janus said...

    Sorry, Gaelan. Rude of us not to explain, I guess...

    The Gathering For Life On Earth is a weekend festival/retreat that takes place in a private camping facility somewhere near Vancouver, BC.

    It's a lot of things to different people, but activities include conducting and/or attending classes or workshops in different aspects of Pagan life, ritual stuff, games, making/buying/selling handcrafted items networking, kidcare and education, and just plain socializing. A convention on a smallish scale, if you will.

    More info here: http://www.gatheringforlife.org/

    July 27, 2009 6:54 PM


    Gaelan said...

    No need to apologize Janus...seems like something fairly well known among the west coast folks. I was just curious.


    From what you've said and from the webpage, it sounds spectacular. Maybe I'll be able to make it there some day.

    July 27, 2009 7:18 PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devenir said...

    The excitement is building thats for sure. Rowan just came running in the room "Mommy do you know its only 4 more sleeps!!!!" We are so looking forward to it.

    Don't worry about radios unless you think you'll need them for personal use, we (the Gathering) have lots for the goon swad and we (the Dantons) have 6 radios if you needed some.

    Things to bring:
    - roses for the temple - please many forget and the more flowers the better for that beautiful space
    - MUG or water bottle - we you will need it!
    - cold weather gear if only for evening - it can get cool at night and first thing in the morning.
    - extra money for vendors - trust me on this one!
    - sun screen / bug spray
    - snacks - as great as our kitchen witch is ( we love you Geri), there could be a meal that doesn't suit you. Pepperoni, granola bars, etc
    - extra juice, liquids, etc...


    I have to start packing now!

    July 27, 2009 7:44 PM


    Lyn (Skatha) said...

    Yep, I'm already packing too.

    I'm a first-timer at GFLOE but been to similar stuff.

    Bug spray. You can not have enough. If you don't need it, someone else will.

    And a fav -- if you take those individual size water bottles, freeze them, use them for "ice" in coolers they will serve two purposes.
    Give you REALLY COLD water on tap all weekend and
    they last long enough to keep perishables cold. I"ve had them last as long as 3 1/2 days in mid-summer.

    I"m bringing frozen water, ice tea and thai coffee.

    July 27, 2009 7:55 PM


    Lyn (Skatha) said...

    Askani

    you, Maeve and I should have all car-pooled. We could have split a trailer.

    LOL

    Skatha

    July 27, 2009 7:57 PM

    Devenir said...

    Great idea about the frozen water bottles - they line the bottom of our freezer in the event of an emergency we have fresh water. But I LOVE that idea for the cooler!

    July 27, 2009 9:10 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janus said...

    Those frozen water bottles are sooooo handy! You can freeze juices, as well as water.

    And if you don't like commercial insect repellents, you can make your own with a strong infusion of citrus peels (and/or mint) and witch hazel or rubbing alcohol. Put it in a little spritzer bottle and just apply whenever you need it.

    And...drums! If you got drums, bring 'em. I have a baby djembe making its debut...

    July 27, 2009 11:34 PM


    Caroline said...

    I just checked under my sink and I have four (count 'em! - four!) cans of bug spray. I'll bring 'em all, guys!

    July 28, 2009 7:41 AM


    Geri said...

    My philosophy for packing for GFLOE is "less is more". However, you do need to bring your own mug! :)

    You might recall there's a packing list in your confirmation package (pages 5/6). It has 17 items on it - toiletries, towels, clothes, etc. You don't particularly *NEED* anything that isn't on that list.

    I heartily applaud your enthusiasm, but I would not bother about the decorating fabric - the Lair Priest and/or the Temple Priestess would have put out a call for such if it was needed.

    Beach Bag? The swimming dock in weather like this is going to be pretty full or possibly packed with humans and their towels. So anything more than a towel, water bottle, and sunscreen (for reapplication after) is probably overkill.

    Keep in mind that you're really only going for two full days, as Friday doesn't start until 630pm and you're gone by noon Monday. It's also going to be record setting temps. As far as costumes, ritual wear, etc are concerned, *I* plan on being as close to nude as possible most of the time, and nude the rest of it.

    Also, every extra gram of stuff you bring is going to eat into your gas mileage. At a $1.02/L and 160+ kilometres round trip, that adds to your carbon footprint for the weekend, not to mention your finances.

    My $0.03, your mileage may vary, batteries not included, void where prohibited, etc ;)

    July 28, 2009 10:36 AM


    Angela ~ Askani ~ said...

    oooh... now I want to make homemade bug spray! And great that Caroline is bringing lots.

    I'm bringing up my 2 radios anyway. If nothing else, with the 6 the Danton's have we (Scathach) could all keep in touch all over the site? Good idea? Bad idea? Redundant? N/A?

    I'll bring up my nail polish too!

    And anticipating the record heat and my penchant for sunburning inside of 6 minutes, I'm bringing 3 or 4 patio umbrellas. We can set them up in a few places to create shade if required.

    I'll reassess the other things after work...

    July 28, 2009 11:50 AM


    Erin (Kestrel) said...

    Oh! That looks like a wonderful event! I hope everyone going out there has a great time! I'd love to attend this some year!

    July 28, 2009 5:30 PM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geri said...

    Nail polish makes me *violently* ill, and if anyone's using it at the dock I can't go swimming - something about getting into the water while dizzy and disoriented that the lifeguards would not approve of ;)

    I'm not saying "please don't bring it", but if you do please open it somewhere less confined, such as the main field. This will allow the fumes to dissipate with less chance of nailing me or anyone who just plain doesn't care for the smell.

    July 28, 2009 9:10 PM


    Lyn (Skatha) said...

    I'll have to try one of your "natural" anti-big concoctions. I've yet to find a recipe (either store bought or home-made) that works longer than 30 minutes for me.

    Had another thought-- water shoes instead of flip flops for swim-time. They stay on in the water and protect tender paws from rocks going in and out.

    Maeve and I are bringing mani/pedi stuff but we'll bear in mind where we're using it.

    Skatha

    July 28, 2009 10:15 PM

    Lyn (Skatha) said...

    Kestrel--

    Wish you could make it too! WOuld be great to meet you. Maybe next year?

    *nudge nudge wink*

    Skatha

    July 28, 2009 10:16 PM


    Janus said...

    Oooh, I just had a thought. Why don't we look into planning for a Scathach weekend for next year -- not to compete with GFLOE, but in addition to it?

    July 28, 2009 11:42 PM


    Devenir said...

    Ohhh ... I really like that idea Janus! Scathach retreat - there certainly is enough of us!

    Lynn, don't worry about water shoes for rocks. The adult swimming is jumping off the dock into deep water. The kids area for swimming does have a rocky entrance unfortunately - but really that is for our swimmers who don't have their levels yet.

    We are also bringing water volleyball and some noodles.

    Getting excited!!!

    July 29, 2009 5:23 AM


    Skatha said...

    water volleyball?
    water volleyball!

    *happy troll dance*

    2 more sleeps... : ))

    July 29, 2009 4:21 PM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geri said...

    Skatha: where did you find water shoes in an adult woman's size that weren't an obscene sum? The only ones I've seen in a woman's 9 were $60CAD - before tax!

    July 29, 2009 6:35 PM


    Skatha said...

    Holy Scam, Batman!

    I only paid about $15 total for mine at Big Five a couple years ago.

    And they're BodyGlove brand!

    The pair before that? Walmart, about the same price.

    I have a Big Five right next to the grocery and I'll be stopping before we leave. Do you want me to check for you?

    btw I"m on board for the Aleve. For you and Dev both. : )

    July 29, 2009 7:54 PM


    Geri said...

    Skatha: Yes please check if you have time. If there's a colour choice, blue would be ideal. But of course size (women's 9) is more important.

    Thanks for the drugstore run :)

    July 29, 2009 11:15 PM


    Angela ~ Askani ~ said...

    Skatha: If you're stopping to buy cheap water shoes, I'll take a womens size 7, preferably (turquoise/aqua) blue.

    I'm a dork: all my swim gear is blue! (swimsuit, towels, umbrella, blanket, folding camp chair...)

    July 30, 2009 3:31 PM


    Skatha said...

    got the Aleve

    stopped by Big Five
    the have the sizes you guys want
    BUT
    one is on sale for 14.99 BUT they are black with pink accents
    the other is on sale for 15.99 , all black, kinda ugly but functional

    didn't purchase them tonight but will stop and definately get a least a pair for Geri. Held off on yours, Askani, because they did not match your water-side princess color scheme. LOL Let me know if the colors are ok and I'll go for it.

    Skatha

    July 30, 2009 9:05 PM


    Caroline said...

    I'll take a size 10 in whatever colour you can find. I'm not steady on my pins as it is and I'll need to have protected feet going in ... don't care if my crutches RUST!

    Have they got any toddler sizes?

    July 30, 2009 9:08 PM


    Skatha said...

    C-

    they carry kids stuff but didn't check if they had watershoes specifically.

    I'll put you down for a size 10

    So the list:

    Size 10-- any color for Caroline
    Size 9 -- for Geri (solid black first, black with pink second)
    Size 7 -- for Askani if I hear back regarding color options.

    all 14.99-15.99 plus tax

    I'll be checking this until about 930 am tomorrow morning.
    or email works too
    thedancingflame@yahoo.com

    See you all tamale
    Skatha

    July 30, 2009 9:53 PM


    Caroline said...

    Thanks! I've got a crisp $20 bill for ya! If they *do* have toddler sizes, my kid wears an 11/12 in toddler sizes. If not ... she's got a pair of purple Holeys that we can try and keep on her feet in the water.

    Just need to go get my x-rays and then I'm headed for the ferry!!!!!

    July 31, 2009 7:03 AM


    Skatha said...

    got it

    I'll check for the Bug too.

    July 31, 2009 8:00 AM


    Caroline said...

    Don't worry about the toddler size - I managed to unearth her pair from last year and they still fit!!!! One less thing to worry about. Sheesh! You'd think I'd never been to the Gathering before. Mind you, this is the first time with the Bug in tow ...

    I will, however, be bringing in Timbits on my way in so feel free to swarm me when I finally get there (it's my thank-you for helping me haul my stuff!)

    July 31, 2009 8:09 AM

    ReplyDelete