09 August 2009

withdrawal

Doesn't it feel like we should be meeting up today?

Spending the weekend at the Gathering made me feel all squishy warm fuzzies: I LOVE my coven! HUGS and loves all around! I had such a great time (and I absolutely agree with the idea that we should have our own annual Scathach retreat).

I love how we take such great care of eachother, everyone brought extras to pitch in so no one went without. I love how there aren't any walls between us, and how the kids respond to us all as family. I love having big brothers! I loved finally being at a kids' summer camp in a bunk eating junkfood with the other kids. I loved playing Barbie with Char! I loved that I was able to push my boundaries with my friends and NOT feel at all awkward afterwards. I mean, if you can't trust your friends to be vulnerable with, how could you possibly trust strangers?! I love how we come together and love eachother (welcome, Robyn! <3 ) and support eachother (you're OUR girl, Geri!). I love that we comrades-in-arms stand together, side by side, and face all odds.

I just frakkin LOVE my coven, okay?!?

GREAT BIG HUGS to everyone! Can't wait to see you again...

4 comments:

  1. 26 COMMENTS:


    Caroline said...

    Oooooh, Scathach retreat. Now *that* sounds lovely on so many levels!!!!

    August 9, 2009 3:03 PM


    Caroline said...

    And btw, you all ROCK. You made my weekend much easier, much more fun, and worry-free. THANK YOU!!!!!

    August 9, 2009 3:04 PM


    Devenir said...

    Actually guys, I've been making plans. *rubs hands together with glee* I've found the spot, talked with Kerr and a Scathach retreat could very much become a reality.

    It would need to be a little shorter Fri night to Sunday afternoon. But then its less expensive. I've priced it at about $80 a person at cost.

    On Monday I'm going to check out dates that are not in July. Currently July 17-18 is available, but that is pretty close to the gathering and I'm going to look if June weekends are available.

    Camp Capilano would host at max 44 of us, catered, has swimming pool (we'd need a lifeguard, unless one of us is ticketed) and a fire pit.

    http://www.metrovancouver.org/SERVICES/PARKS_LSCR/Pages/camping.aspx

    I'm pretty stoked! I'll bring the details and pricing and what not to class next Sunday!

    August 9, 2009 3:30 PM


    Geri said...

    Sounds marvelous, Devenir, except of course "catered" could become a major pain in the neck for me and Deb. I'll have to have several long conversations with their kitchen people to see how to make it all work.

    Fortunately I'm all practiced up at that *whistles innocently with a smile* ;)

    August 9, 2009 5:24 PM


    Caroline said...

    woot woot woot! As long as kids are welcome (duh) I'm soooo there! And hey, you know what? What about a *winter* get-together? I don't care about rain or colder weather. You said there was a pool??!!!! It's not as if we're going to have a Pan's Lair or anything (one is enough, thank you very much!).

    Just a thought.

    August 9, 2009 6:29 PM


    Gaelan said...

    So, Askani, how precisely do you feel about your coven? :D


    Hey, would this gathering be open to members from far away? Cause if I could manage the trip, I'd be up for it. I keep meaning to get out to the west coast again anyhow.

    August 9, 2009 7:17 PM


    Caroline said...

    I think that's the whole point. Gaelan - giving *everyone* a chance to get together and meet those from the Motherhouse. I think it is an incredible, wonderful, fabulous idea!!!!! Thank you so much, Lisa, for investigating this!

    August 9, 2009 7:19 PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaelan said...

    Oh yeah....well, in that case I'll start saving for the ticket west.

    August 9, 2009 7:57 PM


    Skatha said...

    a pool? a firepit? I'm so there...

    If there is anyway we can make it a June weekend, would work best for me. I'm prepping to perform at a festival in Seattle that open weekend in July.
    But we're far enough out from go-time that I still have plenty of time to give up my slot without causing grief for anyone.

    And YES Gaelan, it would be awesome if you could make it out here with us! Perhaps if we put it out early enough, we can have several of our distance folks with us.

    Thanks for taking this on, Dev! Once again, you rock.

    Skatha

    August 9, 2009 9:45 PM


    Skatha said...

    Askani--

    oh boy! I hear you on withdrawal. I was sitting on my stoop last night, gazing up at the dark sky thinking, "sigh... I wish I were back at the firepit, chanting with Lisa, enjoying Janus' drumming and zilling with my homies... wish I had a Scathach sprout around to fuss over and play Faery Hunter with Doodlebug...wish I were having a primal dance fest with my crew at the grotto... wish I could be shouting Char's 'faery' accolades while splashing about like a happy selkie... wish I could sit down and have a meal with my family....wish I were cackling with Chris over weird and funny energy bundles to send Kerr... wish I were dodging bees with Mike again" etc etc...

    Ok, maybe not so much the bees... LOL

    Love you guys too,
    Skatha

    August 9, 2009 9:59 PM


    Janus said...

    Askani,I know 'zackly what you mean about, "shouldn't we be meeting today?" I checked my calendar three times, just to make sure, before Tam and I headed off to Second Beach for the Festival of India (otherwise know as the Hare Krishna Festival).

    This was not my first Gathering, but it felt like it was -- probably because we were there as a group, in spectacular strength (a little over 1/6 of the total population is a pretty big chunk of the population!). And yeah, withdrawal. For the first time, I feel "homesick" for what was. And it has to be because of the Scathach coven, and our presence in one anothers' lives.

    August 10, 2009 11:22 AM


    Janus said...

    Dev, you're on this already??? AWSUM!!!

    If we're voting on dates, I like June. July is too busy for me. September would be okay, too. And I'm with Caroline on a winter weekend. Off-seasion might be cheaper...?

    Gaelan, absolutely for all members, wherever you're from!

    August 10, 2009 11:29 AM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Queen Maeve said...

    All that everybody else said! I was really wonderful how open everyone from the motherhouse was. I did feel like I belonged, even though I'm the Seattle Group. Thanks again for you all being so great!

    August 10, 2009 8:39 PM


    Queen Maeve said...

    All that everybody else said! I was really wonderful how open everyone from the motherhouse was. I did feel like I belonged, even though I'm the Seattle Group. Thanks again for you all being so great!

    August 10, 2009 8:39 PM


    Wildevine (Janet) said...

    Hey Angela, I know what you mean, I am still kind of in withdrawal. It was so nice to walk around the whole site randomly and just about everywhere, see a fellow tribe member. I felt connected like never before.
    I, too, would prefer June. September would be nice as well. I love winter "stuff" but the travel for outlying members could be tricky in the winter.

    August 11, 2009 9:26 AM


    Angela ~ Askani ~ said...

    Doesn't matter that you're long-distance or local, you're SCATHACH and therefore FAMILY. Of COURSE you belong!

    ~HUGS~

    August 11, 2009 1:06 PM


    Angela ~ Askani ~ said...

    I agree with Wildevine: traveling throughout the province in winter can be iffy. Mountain passes in snow, not so fun. And here it seems to only take 4" of snow to close roads.

    I really like the idea of June or September. Not as scorching hot at July and August so less heat stroke and sunburn and inability to wear clothes. However, I kinda liked the Gathering's lake-several-times-a-day and no clothing required options. I could do anytime between June and September.

    But for the Dayplanner's sake, there is already a huge gathering in August, so June or September spaces it out a little...?

    August 11, 2009 1:10 PM


    Caroline said...

    For those who still do Sasamat - there's the Pirates and Fairies in September. I know Deb is instrumental in that one, so don't know that would be a great time. Wow, our schedules are sure filling up fast!

    August 11, 2009 1:24 PM


    Devenir said...

    I contacted Camp Capilano today and the don't have any weekends in October November (aka the winter thing). They do however have dates in May and June. I know I have my fav (June 456) cause it avoids the Sabbats and Rowan's birthday (June 13th). So that is the one I'll be championing when I bring the details to the motherhouse.

    Also - Geri - I got more info on the kitchen stuff. I think you will be pleased.

    August 11, 2009 5:33 PM


    Sorayah said...

    Ya I'd like to try to get to the Pirates and Faeries one that Deb and Rosanne are doing.. Sounds like a blast...

    I miss everyone too, been totally going through withdrawls since we left.... Askani, I enjoyed being dressed up thank you very much :0) Skatha.. ohhhhh the grotto! haha...So many memories in such a small period of time.

    I love the idea of us having an annual Scathach retreat too.. thanks for looking into that for us Devenir

    See y'all on sunday :0) *hugs*

    August 12, 2009 2:05 PM


    Erin (Kestrel) said...

    Ah! Now I want to go to the Gathering AND the Scathach retreat. I'm going to have to get a second job. 'Scatch is tantalizingly close and yet fustratingly far away from all you West-coasters.

    August 12, 2009 8:23 PM


    Dame Janus said...

    Erin, if you or anyone else can't make the Lower Mainland retreat, why not make your own? Scope out some likely campground in Sask and outline for yourself a program of what you want to learn/explore. If you can get a few others with you, great. But even if you're the lone Scathach member, you'll come out of a weekend experience with something of value.

    August 12, 2009 11:00 PM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela ~ Askani ~ said...

    Kestrel: If I'm ever back in Regina to visit my family, I'm coming to spend some time with you too!

    And if you're ever out here, I offer crash space.

    We 'Riders fans gotta stick together, eh? ;-)

    August 12, 2009 11:02 PM


    Dame Janus said...

    Dev, first weekend in June is already pencilled in on my calendar.

    Hoo, boy! I think we're really gonna do it! W00t!

    August 12, 2009 11:02 PM


    Erin (Kestrel) said...

    Angela - Didn't even notice you were from Regina! For sure let me know if you're ever back this way. I suspect you'd fit in quite well with my crew of HPCs (Hot Pagan Chicks) :-)

    August 14, 2009 10:00 PM

    Angela ~ Askani ~ said...

    I know it's no small town, but if you bump into any Trithardt's or Patel's there, that would be my family.

    August 16, 2009 12:18 AM

    ReplyDelete